BREAKING NEWS

COVID-19: FG Clears Air On Fresh Lockdown, Sends Message To Travellers



The Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed has explained why the Federal Government will not be ordering a fresh lockdown despite the surfacing of the second wave of the coronavirus.


Mohammed who spoke during a radio program on Tuesday cleared that the directives of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 did not in any way mean that the country will go back to lockdown.



According to Mohammed, President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration was not going to announce another lockdown in a bid to avoid the issue of hardship and an economic meltdown.


The Federal Government on Tuesday clarified that it has not declared a fresh lockdown of the country following confirmation of the second wave of COVID-19.


Mohammed stated that the Federal government only re-emphasised old protocols and ask some of its workers to stay at home.


The minister further explained that the government's move was to reduce any chances of mass gathering.


“The Federal Government has not declared a fresh lockdown.


“What we have done is that we have simply reiterated the old protocols and asked federal workers on Level 12 and below to stay at home and they will still receive their salaries.


“Lagos state has equally asked their level 14 workers and below to work from home and Kaduna state has done the same.


“Therefore, there is no fresh lockdown and the issue of hardship and economy meltdown does not arise,’’ he said.


Further explaining the government's decision, Mohammed said that the ban on social gathering is to curtail people from gathering as it has been discovered that COVID-19 had reached the level of community transmission.


Recall that the Federal government through the PTF had on Monday directed all workers from level 12 downwards to stay at home.


Announcing the development in a statement on Monday, the chairman of the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, also revealed that a 5 weeks restriction had been placed on the religious and social gatherings. “Encourage virtual meetings in government offices. The leadership of such offices are to ensure that all offices are well-ventilated offices, and encourage staff to work from home where possible.


“All government staff on GL.12 and below are to stay at home for the next 5 weeks; Permanent Secretaries and Chief Executives are to be held accountable for enforcing NPI rules in their domains with frequent spot checks.


“The PTF on the advice of the Federal Ministry of Education expects that schools would have vacated from the 18th December 2020 and remain closed till at least the 18th of January, 2021 to enable the measures introduced to take effect.


“All persons above the age of 60yrs and/or with comorbidities are to be encouraged to stay at home and avoid crowds.


“All non-essential travels both domestic and international during the holiday season are seriously discouraged,” Mustapha said.


Read Also... Gunmen abduct 'several passengers' along Benin-Auchi road


          RECOMMENDED MESSAGE TO READ!

Let VAM Nigeria help your business/brand reach a wider audience, Event coverage, Campaign and others. Advertise with us today! Contact Our Marketing Team; WhatsApp: 📲08072633727. Email: voiceairmedia@gmail.com


No comments

After Dropping your comment, Wait for few minutes, your comments will appear below!!!